Wednesday, April 2, 2014

National Walking Day

Today is the American Heart Association's National Walking Day.

As someone who has been walking regularly to improve their general fitness and help lose weight for a few years, I like this day!

Unfortunately, this is a class day so I usually limit my walking to a 10 minute stroll between the parking lot and the classroom before and after class.

But, since the challenge is to get out and just walk for 30 minutes, I may try to sneak in another little stroll some time.

Aerobic exercise such as walking has many benefits including improving your cardiovascular fitness such as improving lung capacity and strengthening your heart. These help lower your blood pressure and reduce your resting pulse rate. They also reduce the risk of a heart attack or stroke.

So, as someone who wishes all my friends could be healthy and live longer, I think this is a good idea!



 There are lots of good ways to get aerobic exercise, but walking is cheap, easy and convenient for most people. And, it's easy to start out walking a short distance a few times a week and gradually build up your strength and endurance by adding a little distance to your walk every week or two.

Eventually, you'll find you feel better and look better and have more energy.

And, you don't have to do it every day. But, about five times a week is good. If you miss a day, don't stress out and worry about it. If you don't have time or energy for your usual long walk (which I often don't), just do what you can. A little bit is better than nothing.

Or as the Texas Tornados put it:

A Little Bit is Better Than Nada!

And, since I ate two enchiladas for lunch, I'd better have two little bits.

All the best to each of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment