Sunday, March 9, 2014

Blog Assignment: Jambalaya

Although it may seem the blog is mainly a recounting of my culinary activities, I hadn't really intend to limit my subjects so tightly. But since I'm studying for some classes, maintaining a family life and sometimes working, it's sometimes easier just to take a few pictures and write up the recipe to share or at least document.

One class I'm taking this term is an introductory Information Technology (IT) class, which is a general introduction to computers, the internet, and important programs like Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office (at least Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). I've worked with all these before, but since it's a requirement for many computer classes I do want to take, I decided to go ahead and take it this term so I wouldn't have to keep requesting special approval for each class.

Also, it gives me a chance to catch up on the changes from Office 2010 to 2013. And one of today's assignments was to create an account on Blogger and write a blog!!! (Actually, it's just an exercise that I don't have to turn in.)

So, with that in mind, I thought I'd share my Mardi Gras recipe from this year:

Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Jambalaya

Ingredients
·         2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 1 1/2 lb total, cut into 1-inch chunks
·         2 teaspoon(s) Creole seasoning
·         2 tablespoon(s) canola oil
·         12-16 ounce(s) andouille sausage or other smoked sausage
·         1 large white onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
·         1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
·         1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
·         1 small green bell pepper
·         1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
·         2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
·         1/4 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
·         1 cup(s) raw long-grain rice
·         1 cup(s) cauliflower, chopped into small pieces in a food processor (optional)
·         2 cup(s) chicken broth
·         1 can(s) (16-ounce) diced  tomatoes, undrained
·         3/4 pound(s) large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail shells removed
·         Chopped parsley, for garnish

Directions

1.  Standard recipes for jambalaya call for cooking the rice in the broth with all the other ingredients. However, because my honey is diabetic, we try to limit starchy vegetables like rice in the diet. Also, it's easier to get the rice cooked just right if you cook it on the side. And, since this makes a lot more than the two of us can eat in one sitting, keeping the rice separate avoids the rice soaking up all the liquid and turning to mush. So, to cook the rice, combine the one cup rice with two cups water in a small or medium pot. Cover, heat to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes. 

2. Sprinkle chicken with Creole seasoning. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add sausage and brown 2 minutes. Remove to a plate.

3.  Add chicken and sauté until brown, about 4 minutes; remove to plate.


4.    Add onion, peppers, thyme, flour, and cayenne to pot and cook, stirring constantly, until onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. 

5. Add broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes.

6.    Stir chicken and sausage into vegetable mixture; cover and continue to simmer 6 minutes. 

7. Stir in shrimp; cover and simmer 6 minutes, or until cooked through. 

8. Add rice or chopped cauliflower to rounded plates or large bowls.
Rice on left, cauliflower on right

9. Spoon jambalaya onto plates. Garnish servings with parsley.


Final notes:
Cooking the shrimp in the shells gives a much better flavor, but takes a bit of work to pick the shells off before eating each shrimp. The original for this calls for leaving the tails on, but I opted to remove them as well.

Hope you enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. I'm one of the few who don't care for shrimp or shellfish, but it looks delicious. I don't think I've ever seen Cauliflower used this way... I'll bet that's good!

    Nice Blog Joni : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it, Cassie!
    Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable which can be used as a starch substitute in many ways. My honey likes to make a pizza crust with chopped cauliflower, mozzarella cheese and egg with seasonings like garlic and oregano.
    I should write that one up some time!

    ReplyDelete