Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Cherry Berry Smoothie

Get Ready to Blend!

Today was a day off, so I took advantage to get in a walk around the Academy.

This was my longest walk in a couple months, so my time was a little slow, but not bad. Since we got a great buy on cherries and strawberries at the local farmer's market yesterday, I decided to make a smoothie for a light snack before starting to prepare supper.

This recipe is based on one from my smartphone weight-loss app, Noom, which suggested it as one of my daily tasks.



Watermelon-Berry Smoothie

Ingredients

1 cup ice
1 cup watermelon chunks (I substituted 1 cup cherries)
½ cup blueberries
1 cup strawberries, halved
1 banana, sliced
2 tsp calorie-free or low-calorie sweetener (I just left this out)
1 ½ cup non-fat milk (I used 1% milk)

Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

Sliced and pitted cherries
When I helped make Waldorf salad as a kid, we would occasionally slice grapes and pick out the seeds to use them instead of raisins. Seedless grapes were just about unheard of back in the 50's. So, it didn't take long to slice and pit about 3 dozen cherries to get a cup.

Halved strawberries
 My honey had already cleaned and sliced some strawberries, so I borrowed some with permission.

Sliced banana
 I had to make a quick run to the Sunflower Market to get bananas, which we were out of, and blueberries, which were on sale.

Rinsed blueberries

 We blended the ingredients in our Ninja blender.
Cherry Berry Smoothie
 With the milk and ice added, the result had a mild but pleasant fruit flavor. It was light and refreshing! Just right for an energy burst while I cut up some green beans for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment