Saturday, April 27, 2013

Barbecued Pork and Beans

Barbecued Pork and Beans
I've been enjoying this dish for the last few days and thought I'd share it with you. It's fairly easy (although I do it the hard way by cooking my own beans and roasting my own pork) and surprisingly good.

I started with slow roasted pork. I rubbed 2 pounds of pork loin or boneless pork chops with KC dry rub. Then placed it in a pan in a 275F oven and baked it for about 1 1/2 hours.
Roasted Pork
I cut medium thickness slices for serving, but suggest you let it chill it in the refrigerator and then slice it very thin.

I rinsed one pound of pinto beans several times and soaked them overnight. Then I dumped the water and covered with fresh water. I added 1 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, powdered cumin, and powdered red chile. Then, I heated the beans to a boil, reduced heat to simmer and cooked for about 3 hours. This makes a lot of beans!!! You can just drain and rinse 1-2 15 ounce cans of pinto beans instead.

I chopped about half an onion, heated 1 Tbsp of oil in a pot and sautéed the onions for about 5 minutes.
Saute the onions for 5 minutes

Then, I added about 1 pound of sliced pork and heated it for about 5 minutes.
Heat the pork with the onions.
 
Then add 1 1/2 cups of the cooked beans.
Beans added to pork
 
And add 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce. I like Stubb's original because it has a lot less sugar than most commercial brands.
Stir the pork and beans together
 
Then, heat to a boil and simmer for at least 30 minutes. (1-2 hours is better.) If you cook it longer, the pork softens and becomes more tender.
 
Serve and enjoy!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment